Wednesday, November 20, 2013

It's All About Perspective

Think about something that drives you crazy. Now, think about something that makes you happy. Does it change your perspective on the former?

We absolutely adore our two mini-dachshunds, Dexter and Chloe.  While I obviously know that pet ownership is not the same thing as parenthood, we do consider our pets a part of our family.  We recognize that they have very distinct personalities, habits, and instincts.  Sometimes, those do not mesh all that well with my own personality, habits, and instincts.

IMG_8754

I am very bothered by loud, repetitive noises.  Like dog barks.  Our dogs are not all that barky; barks are usually limited to when someone opens our front door (mailman, or one of us returning to the house), a signal that one of the dogs needs to go outside to potty, or in response to a loud disturbance outside.  Occasionally, something we do will spark an odd barking fit (Dexter often barks when he sees Hubby kiss me), but really, barking is really isolated, and intended to be an alert.

Except, sometimes, it is not.  Sometimes, Dexter will sit downstairs and bark for no apparent reason.  And it drives me absolutely bonkers.  I will get very tense, and end up yelling at him.  Not something I am proud to admit.  It just gets me so frazzled, I cannot help it.

I think, really, what bothers me most about the barks is that he is trying to convey a message to me, and I am just not understanding.  It concerns me that he might have a need that I have not considered.  What if he is sick?  What if he is frightened?

The dogs bring us so much joy.  It is nearly impossible to have an awful day with the dogs around.  I have been under the weather for a few days now, and all the dogs want is to snuggle in bed with me, and give me get will licks.  I cannot imagine our life without them.  When we went to New York last month, we left the dogs with my sister for a few days.  It was the first time we had ever left the dogs with anyone.  Our house felt too empty, and way too quiet.  I would have given anything to hear barking.

So, the next time Dexter is driving me nuts with the barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark I just need to remember to be thankful we have the dogs here to drive us a little crazy.

NaBloPoMo November