Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tiffany's Tuesday Tunes: John Roderick Mania

Historically, this blog has flowed better, and I have been more consistent with posting, when I work within the framework of topical series.  Last month, my fellow Pittsburgh Blogger Alex, from Everybody Loves You, started a series where each Monday, he has a different blogger friend create a mixtape to explain his or her personality.  Alex was kind enough to feature me for a post in this series, and it really got me to thinking. Music is a huge part of my life.  I played and studied music for about 10 years.  I come from a family of musicians, and music has now been passed to my niece and nephew.  Music ties me to times, places, people, memories.  Music can alter my mood.  Music can help me relax.  In short, the fact that I am not featuring music on my blog means I am holding back something of myself.  So, today, I institute a new series, called Tiffany's Tuesday Tunes.  Each post in this series will have a theme, some fun, some serious, but all heartfelt.

IMG_3531


If you know me at all, take a look at my Twitter feed, Pinterest boards, or Flickr sets, you will know that I am a tiny bit obsessed with the lead singer of the band The Long Winters, the one and only John Roderick.  In fact, I have openly talked in a past post of how John Roderick's music helped me fall even deeper in love with my husband.  Go ahead and read it, I will wait.  You're back?  Ok.  So, yes, to put it mildly, I have a major fangirl crush on this dude.  His music, it just speaks to my soul in a way that very few other contemporary musicians have.  It makes me incredibly sad that he has not put out a new album in years.  I think if he would put out an album of nothing but acoustic covers of past The Long Winters hits, it would be wildly successful, because his acoustic songs are so dreamy and romantic.  (John, on the slim chance you may be reading this, please, think about it.  It would sell, I promise.  Add a new song or two, and you would make thousands of fans very very happy.)  I personally think John was ahead of his time, and I hear modern songs by groups like the Lumineers and Old Crow Medicine Show who are doing things John was doing 10 or 15 years ago.  He is greatly underappreciated, and I wish more people were familiar with his music.  If nothing else, I need someone with whom I can discuss Roderick's brilliance.

That being said, it should come as no surprise that the first playlist I am featuring for this series is entitled "John Roderick Mania".  It includes my favorite songs of his.  Give it a listen, and if you find yourself falling in love with the music, let me know!