Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thankful for... waiting for my turn

Waiting for my turn
Photo courtesy of Carol Brown.
I am not a patient person, particularly when it comes to waiting for my "turn".  Traffic rattles my nerves, I dislike lines at amusement parks, and I would never ever be one of those people who waited for the release of the newest iGadget.  So, patience, not one of my strong suits.

But today, there were a couple of instances where I was happy to wait.  First off, the polling place.  Hubby cautioned me that we timed our trip to the polls poorly, and might have to wait in line.  Our wait was momentary, but I have already heard tales, which I expect I will hear late into tonight, of people waiting in very long lines to vote.  While this may be inconvenient, I find it a happy problem to have.  Long lines mean more voters, more people actively engaging in their rights, more people invested in freedom, more people making their voices heard.  (Consequently, we did have an extensive wait for the Election Day deal at Subway, and again, I was glad to wait, because, well, it is Subway.  Mmm.)

The second instance, in which I did have to wait, involved a trip to the grocery store after we voted and ate. The place was a madhouse.  I am guessing everyone had the same idea as us.  We were picking up groceries that we will be donated later in the week, so I really wanted to take my time to consider my purchases and be cost effective.  As we approached an aisle that contained a lot of staples (rice, soup, etc.), I noticed that the aisle was completely blocked by two people.  As I got closer, it became apparent that the blockage was being caused by a woman in a wheelchair, and her companion with his shopping cart.  The easiest way for them to communicate about what she needed or wanted to purchase was for them to be side by side in the aisle.  Unfortunately, it took up the entire space in the aisle.  For a split second, my patience wore thin, until I realized the teachable moment in this situation.  Here I was, healthy, walking, independent, waiting my turn while someone with physical difficulties was getting what she needed the only way she was able.  I humbled myself, and patiently waited to advance into the aisle to get what I needed.  The other end of the aisle was getting jammed, and people were getting cranky.  The woman seemed flustered and embarrassed that she might be inconveniencing people.  When she glanced my way, I smiled at her, and told her to take as much time as she needed, that I could wait.

In a society where gratification is instant, and information travels at the speed of light, I am thankful to be reminded that some things are worth waiting for.  Me needing to wait simply means that someone else is getting what they need, and that puts me in the perfect time and place to receive my destiny.
typewriter