Monday, November 19, 2012

Thankful for... leftovers

Leftovers
Photo Courtesy of Arthaey
Anyone who knows me knows that I love to cook.  A lot.  And most recipes that I cook make at least 6 servings, often more.  I love cooking in large quantities.  It allows me to buy ingredients in bulk, and take advantage of great sales, which helps maximize out budget.  Sometimes, it allows me to provide a no fuss meal for friends in need, like when I helped our close friends prepare for the birth of their son.

Cooking in large quantities also allows me to freeze meals.  Sometimes, I will cook a meal, and immediately freeze half of it.  This helps us prepare for busy schedules, or other unforeseen events.  It prevents us from wasting food as well.

Most importantly, cooking multiple servings of a meal can provide us with leftovers, so that I do not have to cook every single day.  Believe it or not, there are days that I do not want to cook.  Today was one of those days.  I woke up very early, after very little sleep, and immediately got to work.  I stayed busy all day, to the point where I forgot to eat lunch.  By the time I did grab a bite and took some time to relax, I realized that I was feeling a little under the weather.  So, cooking was just about the last thing in the world I wanted to do.  Luckily, I made a huge batch of roasted vegetable curry, so, even though I have no interest in food tonight, Hubby is able to eat a hot, healthy, home cooked meal.

I used to turn my nose up at leftovers when I lived alone.  This was because I had no freezer space, and eating the same thing 6 days in a row can get pretty boring.  But, tonight, I am very thankful for leftovers.
typewriter