Tuesday, December 6, 2011

In the Big City: The Nutcracker

Every year, I always dream about going to see the Nutcracker, but every year before I know it, the performances are over, and once again I have not gotten to go.  Until this year, that is.  Several weeks ago, we purchased tickets for Hubby and I to attend a performance.  Front row center orchestra tickets to be exact.  I was so excited I could burst.  Finally, last weekend, we got to attend.

I was so excited for us to spend a special night celebrating the coming holiday.  We got all dressed up, and headed down to Pittsburgh.  As an extra bonus, the city has made weekend parking free during the holiday season.  I loved walking in to the theater and seeing all the families there with their children.  So many adorable little girls in velvet dresses!  I love that so many families make this a holiday tradition.



We got to our seats with a few minutes before the performance would begin, which allowed me to really take in the beauty of the opening scene's backdrop, already on the stage.  The art director decided to have this year's production set in Pittsburgh, so the backdrop was of one of the gorgeous Victorian mansions that once graced the city.  Suddenly, the lights were dimming, and it was time for the show.


I could go on and on about the glorious scenery.  I could tell you about the tremendous skills of all the dancers.  I could tell you about the awe we both felt at attending our first ballet together.  I could go on and on, but instead I will simply say it was magical.  So much magic, literal and figurative, filled the stage.  We had such a wonderful time, and Hubby and I spent the intermission, and the time at our post theater dinner, talking about the performance.  It was just simply so wonderful, and well worth the wait of all these years.



I think the thing that made it most special, and incredibly romantic, was that Hubby attended it with me.  While ballet is probably not his first choice of cultural activity, he gladly took me to the show.  Because that is the kind of man he is.  He, like this performance, was also well worth the wait of all these years.