Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tiffany Trivia: When I Grow Up

As you may have figured out, I was not your typical child.  My mom could tell so many stories that confirm that statement.  I was always very vocal about my plans and goals for my life, what I wanted and did not want, but there was one thing I kept to myself -what I wanted to be when I grew up.

You see, while other kids were dreaming of being marine biologists (a popular career among my female classmates when we were 7), teachers, doctors, or stay at home mommies to kids with names like Laken and Trent, I had my eyes set on the Great White Way.


Yes, indeed.  I wanted to be a singer and dancer on Broadway.  At the age of 7, I could sing every word on the cast recording of Les Miz.  By 9, Phantom was added to that list.  By high school, also Miss Saigon, West Side Story, The King and I, Grease, Oklahoma, Guys and Dolls, and Jesus Christ Superstar.  

Cabaret.  Wicked.  Mary Poppins. Rent. Chicago. Sweeney Todd.  Jekyll and Hyde.  The Lion King.  They are more than shows to me, they are old and trusted friends.  I know them and love them all.

Unfortunately, I suffer from terrible, horrible stage fright.  Paralyzing.  I did sing a bit in high school, and college.  Several times I took private lessons.  And you know what became of it?  I sing show tunes, halfway decently, in the bathtub.  But only if I am home alone.  After 5 years, I rarely even sing in front of my husband, the fear is so great.

So, I have never been in a musical.  Never even auditioned.  It is my one great regret in life, that I never tried a little harder.  Sure, I would never have made it to Broadway, but maybe something much smaller scale could have happened for me.  Now, I am relegated to a life in the audience.  But that is ok, the view is still pretty amazing, even from the cheap seats.