Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Explorations: Allegheny Overlook, Cadogan

IMG_9305

One of the best parts of living in Armstrong County is having so many spectacular views of the river.  Last week I spent some time checking out one of these views at the Allegheny Overlook Park in Cadogan.  I had passed this park many times, and never stopped.  But when I found out there was a geocache hidden in the park, I knew I needed to pay it a little visit.

I was not sure where to park, as there does not appear to be a designated parking lot, or if there is I did not see it, so I parked across the street and walked over.  The first thing I noticed was a large rock with the name of the park carved in it.
IMG_9306

 It was a nice alternative to a metal or wooden sign.  The park has a couple of benches, and a little gazebo.  When I first got there, a man was eating lunch in the gazebo, and I did not want to disturb him, so I walked to the actual overlook.  While it is a little overgrown, the view is still fantastic.  And I loved all the mock orange that was growing along the bank.
IMG_9304


IMG_9309


After the man left, I went to check out the gazebo a little more.
IMG_9310

It was small, with a bench inside. It still provided a nice view, just a bit further from the bank. I can see why someone would want to eat lunch here; it was lovely.
IMG_9311


Finally, after finding the geocache, I decided it was time to head out. This is a very nice little park, and I think I will be visiting it again, especially when the leaves begin to turn in the fall. I imagine the view will be spectacular.