Monday, May 2, 2011

Tiffany's Soapbox: Osama bin Laden

tiffanys soapbox
As my loyal readers are aware, I rarely talk politics on my blog.  But I am compelled to write about the historic event that took place last night when we as a nation learned that Osama bin Laden was dead.

I have to say, I am saddened and disheartened by the responses.

To the conspiracy theorists who are saying, basically, "pics or it did not happen", do we really need to see pictures?  Will that really satisfy you?  Or will you claim they are fake, photoshopped, or digitally created?  I saw the video of Saddam Hussein's hanging.  I do not want any other images like that in my mind.  After all, the nation watched in horror as JFK was shot, we have footage and photos, and some people STILL think he is alive.  And as a person of faith, I believe all kinds of things without seeing them.

To those one track political pundits who want to use this event to further their cause, please, just, stop.  Sure, this can relate to "green living" or civil liberties, but, please, for a few days, just think of the people who lost family members in the struggle to get here, and put your personal agendas on hold.

To those who want to score points for any one particular party, please, for the love of God, can't we let this unite us and call it a victory for our country, not one particular side of the aisle?  Again, feel free to pick apart your political opponents' strategies, but, just, wait, like a week, and allow us to come together as Americans.

Why is it that when 9/11 happened, we were able to come together as a country, with the goal of taking out the source of the evil, and now that we have, we are back to being so fractured?  Sure, there is fear of retaliation from sleeper cells.  Sure, there are still evil terrorist leaders out there.  Sure, there is still a lot wrong with this country, but can't we, for a few days at least, call this a win for Team USA?