Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Word Filled Wednesday: Sheep

IMG_6036John 10:14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

Do you ever wish someone was there to guide your path in life, help steer you in the direction that is best, someone steadfast, reliable, true?  If you are a Christian, then you do have someone, you have Jesus.  Many times, the Lord is referred to as a shepherd.  And what does a shepherd do? He guides his flock, and protects them.  Just as Jesus wants to do for you and me.

One of my online friends asked just the other day, how do you know what is just a thought, and what is a gentle nudge by God to point you in the right direction?  Discernment is key when trying to remain a loyal member of the flock.  As animals, sheep have a tendency to stay among the group, and rely on each other, as well as the shepherd.  As member's of God's flock, it is important that we also rely on each other, to help us determine what is the leadings of the Lord, and what is is our own will telling us to make a decisions.  We need to rely on each other for purposes of accountability, support, care, and love.  Jesus, like any good shepherd would, pulls his sheep together to accomplish this.  We find fellow sheep in our churches, families, peer groups, and even on social networking sites.  As animals, sheep are often distressed when separated from their flocks.  As a Christian, I feel the same way.  I rely on the other members of the flock to lift me up when need be, and I relish in being able to do the same for all of them.

So I urge you, the next time you feel a little lost, just call on the Good Shepherd to lead you back to your flock.