Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Word Filled Wednesday: A Light

Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

Such a short line of scripture from the psalms, yet so powerful.

I have decided to not make resolutions for this new year.  Instead, I have made some goals for various things I hope to achieve or improve.  The first item on my list involves the time I spend with God's Word.  Shamefully, I do not spend nearly enough time reading the Bible, and I know full well there are parts of the Bible I have never read.  So, I have decided to try to read the entire Bible during 2011.

I started this plan once before, and got derailed after a month or so.  I found a website that plots the whole thing out for you, to help you stay on plan, and even emails the daily scripture readings to you, if you want.  I have chosen this option, because my email goes to my phone, so I have my daily readings with me wherever I am, and can read them at any time I need or want to.  It is really convenient, and easy.

But, should it be convenient, or for that matter, easy?  Since when has faith been about what is convenient for ME?  Faith, and grace, are all about God.  Just 5 days into my attempt, and already, I am seeing how spending more time in the Word is lighting up my path, and showing me the areas I need to improve.  I made this a goal to grow closer to God, and increase in faith, but already I can see that I am attempting to do it on my terms.  I know that God is truly going to use my time in His word to illuminate my life, what it is, and what it should be.