Friday, August 6, 2010

The One Where I Get to Know my Readers

Yesterday, I was busy pretty much all afternoon, so I did not get a chance to read any of the blogs I follow.  I use Google Reader for reading blogs, because then I can organize them, or mark some to re-read or get recipes from, stuff like that.  Right now I subscribe to 300 + blogs.  So, organization is key.  Anywho, it had been about 12 hours since I check my Google Reader, and when I logged on last night, I was scared to see that the number of unread entries was about 425.

As I was going through them all, I was a little annoyed at the excessive posting some bloggers had done in that 12 hour time frame.  At least 3 people had posted 12 posts, and one person had posted 24 posts.  I will tell you, I did not read a single one of those posts.  Then, I started wondering, what do I do that annoys my readers?  What would they like to see more of?

So here is your chance to give me some feedback, and help make my blog better.

First off, multiple posts in a day...I do this occasionally, but I am sure that I have never posted more than 4 posts on a blog in a singe day.  So, how do you feel about multiple posts?  How many is too many?

Next, reviews and giveaways....I know many blogs focus on just these two things, and have thousands of followers.  Do you wish I did more?  What is the right balance between review/giveaway driven posts and actual content driven posts?

Next, blog hops.....I will admit, for a while, I was pretty addicted, but I hate that every week you have to write a specific post about blog hops just to participate.  Do you blog hop?  Why or why not?  Do you really read all the blogs you find in a hop, or is it just a convenient way to boost reader numbers?

Next, memes and schedule.....I do not really do memes as you may notice.  I  do a weekly Word Filled Wednesdays, not as part of a meme, but a way to make myself focus at least once a week on how God is working in my life.  I do not have any other regularly scheduled or weekly topical features.  Do you think I should?  I pretty much fly by the seat of my pants, and write what comes to mind.  I do have specific topical series, but no schedule for them.  Would you like more structured posting schedules?

Finally, what makes you follow blog?  Why did you follow mine?  And what would make you stop following a blog you already follow?

I really hope you all leave me comments, because I want to become a better blogger.  It is not about the number of people following me, it is about making a real connection with the people who read my blog.  So help me know you better.  Tell me what you love, tell me what you HATE, and tell me what you would like to see me do that I am not doing now.

(Photo courtesy of TNRD Library's Blog.)