Sunday, July 25, 2010

Unexpected Crafting

Today, we were supposed to paint the front porch.  Mother Nature had other ideas.  Hubby got about half way done, and it started to rain.  And not just sprinkle, I mean really rain.  So of course, that project was out.

I was up in our spare room talking to Hubby, when I spied this wooden H that Hubby has sitting on the bookshelf.  Knowing he would never really do much with it, I decided to take it upon myself to be creative.

The H looked like it had been stained and/or varnished, as the front had a shiny finish to it.
I decided the first thing I would do was rough it up a little and remove some of the varnished finish with some sandpaper.  I sanded it all over, but did not worry about it being completely even, as I wanted it to have a rough, aged look to it.


The next thing I did was use a small amount of turquoise colored craft paint, and a sponge brush, and painted all over the H, making sure to get all the edges.  I did not use enough paint to completely cover it, just enough to let the paint get into the roughened wood.


After the paint was dry, I used some scrapbook paper, and cut out part of the design on the paper.  I glued the pieces to the H using a thin layer of Mod Podge.  After letting it dry for a few moments, I then put a generous layer of Mod Podge over the entire H, to seal it and give it a glossy finish.


Now I have a lovely monogram to hang in our home.  Not too shabby for some unexpected crafting!