Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Word Filled Wednesdays: Slow to anger

James 1:19 My dear brothers and sisters, be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry.

It has been made clear to me that I am a little too quick to anger these daysI spoke a little bit about it a few days ago, and then last night, I noticed it again when I was unable to get ahold of Hubby via cell.  I tried multiple times to call and text him, and it is really unlike him to not respond, so I was really worried.  When he finally called me back, I responded with immediate anger.  Then I realized that a combination of a bad storm and poor cell signal where he was at had knocked out his service.  I was then too relieved to be angry, and told him I would see him later.

When I got home, and saw him, I felt terrible for getting so angry about not being able to reach him.  Why was my initial reaction anger?  I should have let him explain first, without expressing such anger at him, and then explained why I was so concerned.  I ended up making him feel really bad about something over which he had no control, and I made myself feel angry for no reason.  

It used to be when I was angry I would hold it in, which is not healthy.  Sometimes, I would cry, which would only make me angrier.  I need to find a better way to voice my anger and frustration, or better yet, I need to find a way to be a better listener, with more patience, to prevent myself from getting so angry.

What do you do to maintain your composure, and prevent yourself from becoming angry?