Monday, June 7, 2010

Time to make the donuts

I am starting to get paranoid, I have been talking about food an awful lot lately on my blog.  People are going to think all I do is eat, which is so not true!  I just have an appreciation for food, for the way it looks, smells, feels, tastes.  I love to buy food, I love to cook food, and while I do enjoy eating, that is probably the least important thing about food in my opinion.  Ok, now that I have gotten that out of the way....

Let's talk donuts.  I have never been a huge fan of donuts.  To me, most of them are too sweet, and the cake ones are usually dry.  And honest to goodness fried donuts are so bad for you.  But then I found a place called Peace, Love, and Little Donuts, in the Strip District section of Pittsburgh, and my outlook on donuts was forever changed.  First off, the smell of the frying dough was enough to convert even the fittest health fanatic.  The shop is family owned and operated.  It is a small little shop, and the line was out the door.  I got inside and saw the cutest little donuts ever!  There were so many options to choose from, I had no idea where to start, so the very helpful salesgirl suggested I get something called a Disco Dozen, which was 4 sugar, 4 glaze, and 4 of the fancy donuts.  So that is what I did, and this is what I left with:

We have the four sugar (2 ginger, 2 spicy) 4 glazed (2 chocolate, 1 strawberry, 1 raspberry) and 4 fancy (1 banana split, 1 chocolate with jimmies, 1 sea salt, and 1 maple bacon).  I took them home, and Hubby and I spread them out.  We did not know where to start.

I decided to go for the gusto with the maple bacon. It was, in a word, amazing.  So moist, and the combination of the maple glaze and the bacon pieces was just like pancakes and bacon on a Sunday morning.  It was heavenly, as you can tell by my reaction.

Next, we moved on to the sea salt.  It was really good, the only comment we have was because it was made fresh right in front of me, and the glaze was still hot, the pretzels on top were a tiny bit soggy, but still, the overall taste was really great!

Next Hubby decided to dive into the banana split.  I bought it specifically for him, but he insisted I try it, because it was so delicious.  I am so glad I listened to him, it was that delicious. 


At this point, we could not handle any more donuts, even though they were little, so we stopped sampling for the day.  Even now, 2 days later, we still have some left, and they are still incredibly fresh and delicious.  I have not found one of the bunch that I disliked.  Maple bacon is still my favorite.

So, the next time you are in Pittsburgh, swing by Peace, Love, and Little Donuts and "Feed Your Inner Hippie".  I for one will be stopping back.