Sunday, April 25, 2010

Small Town Elements: Eat Up

This morning I am reminded of one of my favorite things about small towns- delicious one of a kind non chain family owned/run restaurants.

This morning, I woke up hungry after a restless night's sleep. Rarely do I want a large breakfast, but today I did, and I knew just where to turn. I asked Hubby very sweetly if he would go get me some chocolate chip pancakes from our favorite breakfast spot in Kittanning- Dizzy Lizzie's.

Owned by Fred Bonello, Dizzy Lizzie's is located on Market Street in Kittanning. It is the exact kind of place where the waitresses not only know your name, they know you take your coffee black and your eggs sunny side up. We often just get take out for breakfast, because I am, let's face it, a hot mess in the mornings when in need of a good meal. Yet, upon our second ordering, they remembered how I took my eggs. We have eaten in the actual restaurant several times, and it is a beautiful little place. My only complaint is that they close at 6 pm, so we are pretty much restricted to weekends only there. I suppose I could go to lunch there by myself or with some girlfriends some time. My pancakes this morning were simply divine, so delicious I did not want to stop eating, even when I was full of chocolatey goodness. When I did finish eating, there was still a significant amount left, so I am saving them for either a late night snack or breakfast tomorrow. Yum!



When talking about my home town, and small town eateries, there is only one place you can even discuss, and that, my friends, is the Sonny Boy. This place is a Bridgeport staple. Nestled between the football field and the Dairy Queen on National Road. I started going to this place as a kid, with my grandmother, after church on Saturday nights. My parents carry on the tradition now with my niece. The place is a real no-nonsense type of place, but too nice and clean to be considered a greasy spoon. The food is delicious, and more than reasonable, as you can see from the sign. Staple specials include cabbage rolls, meatloaf, stuffed peppers, and chicken breast. Sometimes the silverware does not match, and often the jukebox plays polka tunes, but the food is good, the waitresses friendly, and the experience undeniably small town.

So there you have it, two great places to eat in two different small towns, both of which are dear to my heart.